5 Ways to Make Veggies Taste Good
1. Oil ’em Up
- Adding a little olive oil and garlic never hurts.
- Hummus helps carrots and broccoli go down
- Add some lemon juice after you steam veggies to it give them a little zest!
- Make a salad with spinach and add fruit like strawberries or dried cranberries for some variety.
5. Grill ’em
- Put veggies on the grill with some salt and pepper during the family barbeque.
Want to make veggies more fun?
Cut ’em up!
- Cut up bell peppers, cucumbers, and zucchinis into fun shapes for a tasty snack!
Are you or your kids still afraid of veggies? Here is a super easy way to hide vegetables in foods so you are eating healthy and don’t even notice!
- Use a grater and shred zucchini, carrots or puree spinach in a food processor and add to lasagna, quesadillas or other favorite dishes! If you have discovered other ways to increase vegetable consumption in your family, send us an email and we will share your ideas with your Los Angeles neighbors.
In order to consume as many different nutrients as possible, make sure to include fruits and vegetables from all colors of the rainbow. Some of the health benefits of each color are listed in the chart below.
Ansari MS, Ansari S. Lycopene and prostate cancer. Future Oncol. 2013; 1(3): 425-30.Brunetti C, et al. Flavonoids as antioxidants and developmental regulators: relative significance in plants and humans. Int j Mol Sci. 2013; 14: 3540-3555.
Chan YM, Bailey R, O’Connor DL. Folate. Adv Nutr. 2013; 4(1): 123-125.
Liu Rui Hai. Health benefits of fruit and vegetables are from additive and synergistic combinations of phytochemicals. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003; 3(78): 5175-5205.
Manchali S. et al. Crucial facts about health benefits of popular cruciferous vegetables. Journal of Functional Foods. 2012; 4: 94-106.
Manganaris GA, et al. Berry antioxidants: small fruits providing large benefits. J Sci Food Agric. 2013.
Zafra-Stone S. et al. Berry anthocyanins as novel antioxidants in health and disease prevention. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2007; 51: 675-83.